- This event has passed.
International Day of Cooperatives
July 1, 2017
The United Nations recognizes and reaffirms the role of cooperatives in economic, social and cultural development and in the achievement of social policy objectives as shown in various resolutions specific to cooperatives and the bi-ennial publication of the Secretary-General’s report on the role of cooperatives in social development.
In resolution 47/90 of 16 December 1992, the General Assembly proclaims “the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives, marking the centenary of the establishment of the International Cooperative Alliance, and decides to consider the possibility of observing an international day of cooperatives in future years …”.
How to celebrate International Day of Cooperatives?
Co-operatives around the world celebrate the Day in many different ways. Below are examples of some of the activities organised by co-operatives around the world:
- The messages of the ICA and United Nations are translated into local languages and widely disseminated to co-operators, media, government officials at all level.
- Co-operatives use newspapers and radio programmes to create awareness on their movements and contributions.
- Co-operative Fairs, exhibits, contests, and campaigns are held.
- Meetings with government officials, United Nations agencies and other partner organisations are held.
- Co-operatives partner with community agencies to champion economic, environmental, social and health challenges (blood drives, tree planting, etc.)
- Cultural events are sponsored – theatre, concerts, etc.